Friday, September 23, 2005

And Another One Bites the Dust

And another one's gone, and another one's gone, and another one bites the dust. Yep. You know it's going to happen, but you're not prepared for it. A certain amount of glee and pride come with starting a blog. It doesn't matter so much that the world is looking on as much as it matters that you have a place to tell the world your story whether they choose to look or not.

So when I set up my blog the other day, at first I hesitated to send a notice to my friends. I figured I would wait and adjust to blogging before I invited the world in. After a few postings, however, I sent some emails letting folks know I was here. What I wished for in return--I guess was little blog cheerleaders shaking their blogger pom-poms screaming, "Good job, Karen. Good blog. We like your blog. We like you."

Sounds like a note a second grader would write. But isn't that what we all want--blog or not--love and acceptance? And isn't that why we share with our closest friends our small blips of accomplishment along the way? And isn't it true that we need all the encouragement we can get, all the cheerleaders we can find because we live in a global world that is connected in so many ways but disconnected and disgruntled in so many others?

That's why I sent my friends my email about this blog. And they've been so supportive and cheerleaderish that you'd think they were part of the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. And I've felt warm and loved. I want to say thank you to my friends for their love and support. Thank you to the tribe cheerleaders--specifically--Antoinette, Chris, Denise, Eileen, Erika, Joyce, Linda, and Sheila. You guys are the best of the best of the best!

Some folks don't want me to tell my truth in this blog. Those folks are going to have to bite the dust. And I don't mean that in a terse way. I mean that in a way that says: I've lived for 48 years, many of those years spent having to hide dark secrets in pockets of skin and bone. Once those secrets escaped, the global world had nairn a thought what it was in for.

And I've made some mistakes telling the truth. I've told too much truth sometimes. I've told the truth in front of the wrong people and hurt those I hold the most dear to my heart and I'm not proud about that. And I've learned there are ways to tell the truth and ways not to, but this is my blog, and I don't intend to hurt anyone here because I'm just happy as a goldfinch to be typing and writing and typing and writing. But I intend to be truthful, even sometimes if that seems like I might not be perfect and whole all the time. Hey, I'm not a loaf of bread. I'm not perfectly shaped or browned or textured or anything. I'm irregular. And I like that. And I like the truth.

So I made the decision, within my promise to be truthful to myself and harbor no more dark pockets with secrets in my body, that truth rules. I'll try to honor others, but what is true for me will be on this page.

For any persons who happen upon this blog and think the truth is too much or too vivid or too whatever, then those are the folks that I've decided I can't please anymore. They have to bite the dust. It's difficult for me to say this and yet freeing as well. Why? Because it is the truth. I wish those souls light and love and peace and I understand their feelings about truth. But I cannot be them or be in their place. I can only be me. And that's exciting. And that's the truth.

kss

No comments: